Sunday, July 09, 2006

95 Years Young



A few weeks ago my family (minus Mike) went up to Santa Barbara to visit my great-grandma for her birthday. My beautiful Great-Grandma Mildred Ashley just turned 95 years old and she is one of the most amazing women I've ever known. She is also the most coherent and alert 95 year old woman that I have ever known. She is the mother of 5 girls, the grandmother of 15 grandchildren, the great-grandmother of over 30 great-grandchildren and the great-great-grandmother of 2 great-great-grandchildren. She has lived by herself for over 30 years until the last few months and she still loves the Los Angeles Dodgers (Go Dodgers!!) and knows almost all the players batting averages and facts about them. All this and she just had her little pinky toe amputated. Another amazing thing about this woman is that she is always caring about others and their well being. The women in my family all live to be very old; at one point I actually had all 4 of my great-grandmas alive. Amazing!! I hope that if I live to be as old as 95 that I will even just a little bit as awesom as Mildred Nordman Ashley!! :-)

(The top picture is my daddy and my grandma, the bottom picture is my brother, sister, grandma and me)

No comments: