Friday, July 11, 2008

Kaiser must think I'm a single mom...

On Tuesday night I had signed up for a class at Kaiser. This class was all about teaching you to breastfeed your baby (sorry for the explicitness) :-) ! Mike and I had decided a while ago that he didn't need to come, after all he's not going to be the one feeding the baby so what would he really need to know. Apparently I didn't get the memo that said you should bring your husband because out of the 15 people that were there I was the only one without a significant other. It's a bit awkward to simulate feeding a baby with 7 other men in the room. (This coming from me and I'm not super shy about things). The nurse kept shooting me these sad looks every time she would say something about your spouse bringing you the baby at night, etc. I thought it was a little bit rude, but mostly funny. One of the other nurses had to be my partner to show me what it will be like when my spouse hands me the baby at night. This nurse preceded to ask me if my husband wasn't here because he was working. I said that he sort of was (he was supposed to be working on his message for Wednesday night). I told her he was a pastor and working on his message and she asked me, "Wow! How did you snag a minister?" I was a little caught off guard and told her we just happened to meet in college. After this we didn't talk again, so I didn't have to explain anything more to her. Overall, the class was pretty informative, but it's a bit hard to simulate feeding a doll as opposed to a baby that actually moves. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully soon! :-)

1 comment:

The Johnson Family Adventures said...

That does sound awkward! It made me chuckle, though!

Breastfeeding is really hard for about the first four to six weeks. After that, though, it gets so much easier! Just remember that the first few weeks will pass!