Sunday, August 19, 2007

Ministry...

I don't talk a lot about my ministry on my blog, but something sparked me into thinking about sharing my thoughts on the ministry I do.

I am a high school ministry volunteer at my church. When I was 18 years old I made the decision to be involved in youth ministry somehow, someway after high school. Little did I know that God would put me on the path to doing ministry early on. I have now been doing youth ministry for 7 years. 5 years with junior high and 2 years with high school. If you had asked me 2 1/2 years ago if I would ever volunteer with high schoolers I would have told you flat out... No! Now I can't even imagine going back to junior high students (as much as a I love them).

I was the girl in high school who did everything. I played sports, I wrote for the school newspaper, I was in theater and I was extremely involved at my church. I would not recommend that for any high school student that I come in contact with, but it definitely shaped me into the person I am today and the person I continue to become. This has also helped me to say no to a lot of things because I had the tendency to get burnt out in high school.

I currently teach a Bible Study class on Sunday mornings, I lead the video ministry (it's pretty infrequent) and I volunteer on Wednesday Nights (which I may cut back on this year). This may sound like a lot and I could be doing a lot more. The only downside to this is that it makes me a bit more visible to parents and students and they tend to think i know everything about every event coming up.

I love my ministry and I love high school students. I hope that I am able to volunteer with this age for a long time. At least until God has me move on to another area of ministry!

No comments: