Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Burning Ring of Fire...

Yesterday marked my first call to 911 and hopefully my last call. At about 4:45 yesterday afternoon I turned on my oven to preheat it for our dinner. When I saw that the oven was ready for the food I walked over to it and saw flames inside. I opened it up and looked to see that some oil that had spilled (from a previous dinner) was on fire. The flames weren't horribly big so I thought that maybe I could blow on them (I know I'm dumb... I was fanning the flame). This obviously made them bigger and I closed the oven. The flames went down a bit because of the lack of oxygen, but I thought I better call 911 to have the fire department come out and check on it. The 911 operator was very nice and stayed on the phone with me until the fire trucks arrived. He was very nice and we carried on some polite conversation. The fire trucks arrived a few minutes later. First a smaller "pickup" size truck came down, then the big fire truck and then on the main street next to mine was another one. They told the third one to leave when the saw my entire house was not burning down. My first initial thought when they arrived was that my house was messy and I looked like a mess. :-) They went in and I guess put it out. I didn't see since I was in the front room with Addie. They brought out a fan and some fire deodorizing spray and were gone within 20 minutes.

I am very grateful to the Riverside Fire Department. They were very nice and super cool about everything. Needless to say, I going out today and buying a small fire extinguisher. Oh yeah... and I'm scrubbing out my oven. :-)

No comments: