Monday, September 17, 2007

My College Professor...


This past friday CBU lost a wonderful professor, Melodie Yocum. She passed away from cancer. Melodie was the very first professor I ever had contact with at CBU and for the most part taught a lot of the classes I took for my degree. She gave me the opportunity of a theater scholarship without having ever seen my acting ability. She also gave me my first role at CBU by basically making up a part of a fairy not in the script. Melodie was my professor, director, actor and friend. In the last few years I did not talk with her much. Mainly because our paths didn't seem to cross as often. I had the privilege of being directed by Melodie in two plays at CBU and a multitude of scenes. I also had the opportunity to direct Melodie a few years ago in a play about the life of Ruth Bell Graham (wife of Billy Graham). I have also had the opportunity of acting alongside her teenage son. My heart goes out to him right now as I can not even imagine what the feelings must be like to lose a parent at such a young age.
Please keep the Yocum family in your prayers as I am sure this is a difficult time for Melodie's husband and children.

No comments: